About The ORRC
Why ORRC for Services
- One main purpose: We provide day services for people with intellectual disabilities.
- Intentional: Our small program serves less than twenty people.
- The most important thing: That our staff is caring for the people and ensuring the health and safety of every person.
- The second most important thing: Supporting the people in doing what they want to do.
- Always striving to be better.
History of Otter River Resource Center
The Otter River Resource Center, Inc. (ORRC), formerly known as The Sheltered Workshop of Altavista, was founded in 1974 by a concerned group of parents of individuals with disabilities and several community leaders who were concerned about what the individuals were going to do after they completed their high school education. ORRC was established for the purposes to “provide, maintain, furnish and promote vocational training of physically and mentally handicapped citizens, guidance and counseling for physically and mentally handicapped citizens so that they may more readily adjust to the community environment and placement of physically and mentally handicapped citizens in meaningful and gainful employment in the community.”